I wrote this post after day 1’s MAX:30 workout. After day 5’s workout, I felt this post already needed an update, I have a new appreciation for this program. Updated text is in red.
INSANITY MAX:30 will definitely be the craziest half-hour of your day. Why? It is so extreme and so high energy, plus you’re going to be pushing yourself above and beyond your limits each and every workout. It is seriously INSANE and tons of fun!!!
Trust me, I just finished Day 1 of MAX:30 workout yesterday, and I actually think my lungs and chest are sore today from breathing so heavy from this Cardio Challenge, which is why I had to write about it.
Initially, I did not plan to write any articles about the new MAX:30 program, because honestly, at first I thought it was just going to be a revamp of the original Insanity with a modifier. But boy…was I wrong!
So…What Exactly is MAX:30?
INSANITY MAX:30 is not just another sequel to Insanity – it is much, much more than that, and so much better. It is a revolutionary new way to work out and is designed around the concept of maxing out.
What does it mean to max out? Maxing out means that you push as hard as you can for as long as you can until you can’t do anymore (such as when I first needed a quick break to catch my breath and slow my heart rate down slightly) or when you begin to lose proper form.
I will sadly admit that after Day 1’s Cardio Challenge workout, it took me a total of 2 minutes 56 seconds to max out, and I am not in horrible shape. Obviously, my cardiovascular conditioning is not at a peak level.
Once you max out, you quickly write the time you maxed out down and start right back up into the workout without pausing the DVD. This will require you to push yourself beyond what you ever believed possible as you strive to go longer during your next workout. The good news is that your cardiovascular condition improves significantly in just days and challenging yourself becomes a fun competition.
Give It Your All
This is another program that you will need to put in 100% effort to get 100% results, and it really is not for the faint of heart. It’s all about pushing your limits and going beyond your previous day’s max out point to get yourself a killer body in just 60 days.
If you’re not in it to win it, don’t even bother – this is all about beating your previous time. The entire concept around this one is to keep challenging yourself. If you’re not up for that, you should definitely choose another workout program to follow.
The Most Insane 30 Minutes of Your Day?
“INSANITY MAX:30 IS THE HARDEST WORKOUT I’VE EVER TAUGHT.” – Shaun T, creator of INSANITY and FOCUS T25.
I didn’t believe that statement after having tried Insanity, Insanity: Asylum, and Focus T25 , because seriously, how much crazier of a workout could you get? Well…holy moly did my opinion change after the very first workout, because oh my gosh, it gets a whole lot more insane. But you must remember, it is insanely fun as well. When I’m ready to start swearing because I feel like I couldn’t possibly do more, I start laughing at myself, because really? it’s a workout.
The first time I did the program, I maxed out when it wasn’t even officially the workout portion, lol…it was just the warm-up! The good news is that on Friday Night Fight’s workout, I was able to push to 7 minutes 48 seconds, and that was definitely the toughest workout of the week. So, don’t be discouraged. If I can build up my cardiovascular endurance in that short amount of time, so can you!
Funny side story: My boyfriend and I were doing the workout. He was laughing hysterically, because he thought I was going too fast. It literally looked like I was going in fast-forward. But I wasn’t going too fast, that’s just how crazy-fast the speed of the workout is, including the warm-up!
What You Get with the INSANITY MAX:30 Workout Program
The workout program is available in two pretty meaty packages. Here’s a breakdown of what you get with each one:
INSANITY MAX:30 Base Kit: At $119.85, this kit includes:
- 12 workouts: With over 150 new moves and workout sequences, get yourself ready to be strong, lean, and fit in just 60 days.
- Month 1: 5 workouts that include 2 cardio, 2 strength, and 1 challenge. Shaun alternates fat-shredding cardio with Tabata-style power workouts to prepare you for the end-of-the-week challenge, Friday Fight: Round 1.
- Month 2: 5 workouts that include 2 strength, 2 cardio, and 1 challenge. You’re going to feel like you just started the program, because the workout sequences get longer, but the 30-second rest periods stay the same -yikes!!!
- Nutrition to the Max Guide: Like the 21 Day Fix and PiYo, this is about portion control. This really great eating guides teaches you how to eat what you love and still reach your fitness goals – and it includes some tasty recipes!
- Max Out Guide: Learn all the secrets of MAX:30 to get you the best results possible in this informative guide.
- Max Out Wall Calendar: If you were worried about keeping track of your max out times, don’t be. The calendar shows you which workouts to follow each day and its max out tracker has a very easy-to-use format to keep you pushing further each day.
- No Time to Cook Guide: This is a great book for anyone who’s short on time or always on-the-go, so you won’t have to worry about eating healthy. From fast food to fine dining to frozen foods, this guide covers it all and lets you know the best options, so you can MAXimize your results. This is a liveable eating guide to help you easily stick with long after you’ve finished the program.
- Freebies: Yes, you do get a few free items with the workout program, which is why you always want to order directly through a Team Beachbody link:
- Pulse: Shaun T’s idea of a recovery workout combines low-impact moves with stretching and pulsing. Think that sounds fun? Think again…this is designed to give you a super burn.
- Ab-Attack 1.0: This 10-minute workout will feel like an attack on your abs, but don’t worry, it all is meant to give you six-pack results.
- 24/7 Online Support: Keep motivated and stay focused with the free online support where you will also have access to fitness-minded individuals like yourself and health experts.
- Sweat Fest: Your FREE bonus workout DVD you will only get by ordering here from Beachbody.
INSANITY MAX:30 Challenge Pack: Retailing at introductory rate of $180.
- The MAX:30 Challenge Pack is a surefire way to get the best results. Why? Because this base kit also comes with Shakeology on home direct shipping, and quite frankly, Shakeology makes it more likely you’re going to stick with the program, because one meal each day is taken care of. Plus, Shakeology really helps curb cravings and boosts energy levels with all its natural vitamins and nutrients to make sure you’re pushing your hardest each and every workout.
INSANITY MAX:30 Deluxe Kit: Retailing at $239.70, this package comes with the tools you need to get the abs you’ve always wanted. Here’s what you’ll receive with the Deluxe Kit:
- Everything Included in the Base Kit: Please see above.
- 3 Additional Ab Workouts: MAX OUT: 15, MAX OUT ABS, and 360 ABS.
- Ab Maximizer Workout Calendar: Want that six-pack? This will definitely help you get it. It basically adds an ab workout to your daily routine – as if the half-hour isn’t enough!
- Shaun T’s 7-Day Ab Maximizer Plan: Use the same 7-day plan Shaun T does to get photoshoot ready. Can’t wait to try this one :)
- Core Comfort Mat: This is awesome for the floor-based core routines whether you have hardwood or carpet flooring. It will literally make your back and bum say thank you.
- Body fat calipers: These are an awesome tool to help you measure and track the fat you’re melting away each and every week. Even if you are not losing weight, your body can be changing, so this is often a better indicator of changes in your physique than a scale.
- Unique portion-control tools: These are portion-control containers, so you won’t need to measure or weigh anything any longer. You simply shove your serving of protein or carbs into the color-coded container, and voila!, you’re ready to eat and easily track your daily food. You will also get a protein shake or Shakeology shaker cup for convenient and easy mixing.
There are also various add-on options if you prefer to purchase the base kit and deluxe options separately. You also have the option to opt in to the various deluxe options that interest you most. For example, if you already have a yoga mat you love like me, but really want the Ab Maximizer Package to guarantee you have the best mid-section of your life, then you can easily purchase those separately.
Who INSANITY MAX:30 is Good For
Beyond the obvious results you’ll get, it’s particularly aimed at those who are looking for a no-nonsense, no-dance or fancy choreography, hardcore workout.
A Big Plus: Always a Modifier
The good news is that you don’t have to already be a fit person who runs up hills for fun to be able to enjoy this program. Anyone can follow and benefit from this program, because you can use the version of the workout that shows a modifier on the right third of the screen during the entire length, so you can always follow a less-intense version of the moves that will be much easier on your body and on your heart rate if you’re new to exercise or severely out of shape.
This always-on-screen modifier option is unique to the MAX:30 workout program. Other programs have the camera pan back and forth to the modifier, which can get confusing if the moves change when the modifier isn’t on camera. This way, you can easily follow the modifier when you need to and know exactly how to perform the modified move in real time. You can also hide the modifer, it you do not need the modification help.
While the moves are modified, don’t think they’re easy…they still get your heart rate up! The good news is if you’re not in great shape, you can easily go a lot slower than the modifier is moving. Take it at your own pace to get the best results ever.
You don’t have to already be in good shape or have completed any other INSANITY program to follow the INSANITY MAX:30 workout.
I would recommend beginning with the modified versions for at least one week if you’re totally new to working out. It will help you ease into the real movements on your own timeline, because quite honestly, the modified version is tough enough and would get anybody great results even if that’s all you did.
This workout is something you can try if you’re ready to finally get off the couch, regain your shape, or if you just want to push your body and mind beyond what you ever thought possible. It can be for anyone. Just do it at your own pace when you’re first starting out. Cardiovascular endurance increases exponentially.
You will get stronger with every passing workout, so there’s no need to overdo it the first time and never want to do the program again.
You Don’t Have to Love Extreme Workouts to Enjoy MAX:30
Honestly, hardcore cardio is not usually my favorite style of working out, because I’m not really into high intensity, extreme workouts or pushing my body to its max in that way.
However, it is insane how much fun I’m having following this program now that I’m one week in. I’m not sure if it’s me enjoying beating my previous time…I am not usually competitive, but I think I like competing against myself and winning :) This is one of the few programs where I’ve actually been excited about doing the daily workout.
I will be following this program and sharing my results along the way, because I really think it is a very unique concept and such a well put together program thata ton of people are going to benefit from doing it – mentally and physically.
What Equipment Do You Need for INSANITY MAX:30?
This is one thing I really like about the INSANITY programs – you don’t need any equipment. That’s right…you don’t need anything but your own body to follow the INSANITY MAX:30 workout.
While a yoga mat and the portion-control containers are extremely helpful, they are not a required.
My MAX:30 Conclusion
The main focus of this program is for people who want a killer body overall a nice set of abs and with its fat-burning moves to shed the fat and show the muscle and ab-maximizing options. It’s all about keeping your heart rate up, which means it scorches body fat and gets you in the best cardiovascular shape of your life.
Mark my words: INSANITY MAX:30 program is going to go viral. People are going to LOVE this program, because it is put together in such a complete fashion with an awesome concept and an even more awesome diet and nutrition guide to follow. There is no guess work to getting that toned, more athletic, agile, and feeling better overall body than it is with this program.
With an easy-to-follow portion diet plan, it is pretty much foolproof – as long as you stick with it for the duration. After all, who doesn’t have a half-hour, five days a week to dedicate to bettering themselves?
Just remember to always do the workouts at your own pace, and if you need to follow the modifier after the first five minutes, then do that. Getting in shape is not a race, it’s a process.
And while I don’t know anyone personally who’s finished the program just yet, after doing the workouts for one week, I can tell you that you will get real results, and you’ll be seeing mine soon. I have already lost a noticeable amount of fat and am looking more toned. My boyfriend has lost 1/2″from his waistline (the area where he wants to lose the most fat), and his six-pack is starting to show.
Have a MAX:30 question or helpful information? Please leave a comment below.