No potato chips, no oreos, no bagel bites, no donuts? What will you ever do when those in-between meals hunger pains hit? First of all, you do not need to worry…not on the 21 Day Fix diet.
Instead of reaching for the unhealthy stuff, you will eat healthy, whole food-based snacks that are still as tasty as the processed junk you may or may not be used to.
Here is a list of 18 21 Day Fix diet-approved snacks to help get you started, so you never need to worry about being hungry.
1. Peanut Butter Apple: For a little energy and a surprisingly filling snack, spread 1-2 tsp natural peanut butter on a sliced small apple. Equals 1 purple, 1-2 tsp
2. Fancy Oats: Curb your sweet tooth with a filling snack – steel cut oats topped with unsweetened shredded coconut. Equals 1 yellow, 1 orange
3. The Greek Berry: For those missing their fruit-filled yogurt, add blueberries to Greek yogurt. For a cooler treat, freeze the berries first for one hour before adding to your yogurt. Equals 1 red, 1 purple
4. Egg Sandwich: For those run out the door in the morning, place two hard-boiled eggs, halved and on a piece of whole wheat toast, folded in half. Equals 1 red, 1 yellow
5. Coffee Crush: This is my coffee coolatta replacement. Blend one cup of iced coffee with one scoop of chocolate protein powder. Equals 1 red
6. Almond Butter Waffle: Here’s another quick snack that keeps you full. Spread 2 tsp almond butter on a whole grain waffle (kashi waffles are my fave and very easy to find.) Equals 1 yellow, 2 tsp
7. Simple Egg Scramble: In just 4 minutes, you can have a well-balanced snack. Heat 1 tsp coconut oil in a frying pan, add in mixed frozen vegetables, and crack two eggs on top of them. Mix with a spatula until eggs are cooked through. Equals 1 green, 1 red, 1 tsp
8. Pineapple & Cottage Cheese: A unique combination that is sweet and tasty. Mix sliced pineapple with 2% cottage cheese for a light and healthy snack. Equals 1 red, 1 purple
9. Banana Creamsicle: I borrowed this treat from my sister. Blend one half of a banana with unsweetened almond milk. Put the mixture in the freezer for an hour prior to chill, and then enjoy…yummy! Equals 1 purple, 1 yellow
10. Tuna and Hot Sauce: The hot sauce kills all of that over-fishy taste, and you are left with a high protein snack that will make your coworkers ask what you’re eating. Drain one can of tuna fish and top with Tobasco sauce to taste. Equals 1 red
11. Healthier Egg McMuffin: Can’t imagine not enjoying your McMuffin every morning? While you may not be able to enjoy McDonald’s version, you definitely can have this one as a snack or get creative and make it a meal by adding a lean protein to the sandwich. Fry one whole egg in one tsp coconut oil and place on half of a whole grain English muffin. Equals one-half red, 1 yellow, 1 tsp
12. Kale Chips: Another one of my faves…the healthiest green potato chip you will ever eat. De-stem and tear kale into bite size pieces, then add a tsp of extra virgin olive oil. Lay pieces flat on a cookie sheet sprinkle with your favorite spices. I like cayenne pepper. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. Equals 1 green, 1 tsp
13. Beef or Turkey Jerky: An easy-to-carry high protein snack. When choosing a jerky, make sure to look at the ingredients list and choose one that does not contain monosodium glutamate. Just be careful with jerky as lots are extremely high in sodium. Equals 1 red
14. Mixed Nuts: Nuts are a great source of healthy fats, and they travel well. What I like to do is buy a bag of almonds, walnuts, cashews, peanuts, pecans, pistachios, and mix them together on my own. Remember, unsalted nuts only! Equals 1 blue
15. Banana and Peanut Butter on Toast: A favorite from my childhood, spread 1 tsp of peanut butter on whole wheat toast and top with a half of a banana, sliced. Equals 1 yellow, 1 purple, 1 tsp
16. Almond Butter Strawberry Sandwich: No jam, no worries. Spread 1 tsp of almond butter on half a piece of whole grain bread, layer with strawberry slices and fold in half. Equals 1 yellow, 1 purple, 1 tsp
17. Baked Apple: Core and then cut your apple in half, dust with cinnamon. Place on baking sheet center side up at 400° for 15 minutes or until the apple becomes slightly tender. Equals 1 purple
18. Red Pepper with Goat Cheese: This is super yummy if you enjoy goat cheese, which I happen to love. Take raw, fresh red pepper slices and top with crumpled goat cheese. Equals 1 green, 1 blue
I hope this list of eighteen 21 Day Fix-approved snacks has given you some ideas as to what you will be able to eat between meals. The key is be a little creative when you’re eating healthy and make things that are not only good for you, but taste good, too. You can even continue to use these healthy snack ideas long after you’ve finished the 21 Day Fix to keep living a healthier lifestyle.
The Fix is a whole foods diet that cuts out the nasty stuff, including processed sugar, white flour, and salt. However, this just proves you can still have foods that are full of flavor and contain the nutrients your body needs for optimal health.
What are your favorite 21 Day Fix snacks? Please leave a comment below.