Now that the weather has cooled, and you’ve retired your shorts and tanks to break out the sweaters and jeans, I thought I’d write an article to help you find the best jeans for your body type. You know why? Because I still can’t always find the right jeans for me!
It doesn’t matter whether you’re small or large, pear-shape vs apple shape, there is always a pair of jeans that will make you look and feel your best. Because you know what? While you can look gorgeous in the right LBD, there is nothing that can make you feel sexier than the right pair of jeans.
There are a few tips you can use to instantly look thinner in almost any pair of jeans:
- Opt for darker wash denim – it will always slender you out.
- Wear a heel with jeans that graze the floor to give you a lengthier look, which in turn, will make you appear ten pounds lighter instantly.
- Buy jeans that fit – buying too small of a size will only makes you look larger when it bulges out in the areas you’d like to hide the most. If anything, size up.
- Bootcut is universally flattering. I have never seen any shape or any size woman look terrible in the right size pair of bootcut jeans.
Jeans for Your Body Type
Now that I’ve gone over a few instant slimming tips, let’s get on to buying the right style of jeans for you:
If your hips and bust measure about the same with your waist being noticeably smaller than both, then have the perfect figure – congratulations, you are envied by most women! But seriously, all kidding aside, the great news is that you can get away with wearing almost any kind of jeans, but here are a few tips regardless:
- Bootcut jeans are universally flattering. They make your curvy body look even sexier. Just make sure to find a pair that snugs you nicely in the waist – you don’t want any gapping.
- Flare jeans or wide-leg jeans are also a great option for you.
- Slim cut or tapered jeans flatter the hips if you’re more slender, but if you have excess fat in your hips, avoid this style.
- The curvier you are, the higher the back of the jeans should be cut to ensure the jeans fit over your seat and keep you covered when you’re sitting. Say no to plumber’s cracks :)
If you have an obvious pear-shape with narrower shoulders and bust and wider hips, buying jeans can be a really depressing experience…trust me. You get the stupid gap at the waist when the thigh are area is way too tight. The good news is there are styles to help slim down your proportions. Here are a few:
- Flare leg jeans. The widening of the leg below the knee really helps balance your hips and draws your eye down. They tell you to look for mid-rise versions, but when I was heavier, I always liked what low-rise (not super low-rise though!) did for my figure.
- Avoid light washes or fading on the thigh area – this only makes your thighs look bigger and draws your attention to the area you’re probably trying to hide the most.
- Bootcut jeans are always one of my favorites, because they widen slightly below the knee while keeping your hip area streamlined to even out larger hips. Look for versions with a little spandex in them for a truly comfy pair!
You tend to hold your weight in your belly and have a noticeably broader upper body and chest. The trick is to find a pair of jeans that won’t give you the dreaded muffin top or that fit great around the waist, then leave you with a saggy, baggy fit in the legs and butt.
- Try support jeans, but just be sure you get the right size unless you will end up with the dreaded muffin top. Find the right size and you can cinch your middle to create a more streamlined upper body.
- Skinny jeans will look great on your smaller bottom. Look for ones with a little stretch to fit nicely everywhere.
- Opt for jeans with higher placed pockets, as they will give your booty a lift and add some oomph!
- Bootcut styles really slender your shape by staying tight through the hip and thigh and then widening slightly over your shoe. To elongate your leg, buy a pair that grazes the floor with a pair of your favorite heels.
- Avoid low-rise jeans or jeans that have too high of a waist…yes, the not-too-hot, not-too-cold approach works for jeans as well. Both will accentuate your larger upper body.
With your figure, you have relatively few curves with a waist that is not much smaller than your hips or your bust, but pretty evenly proportioned. The great news is that it’s very easy to create the illusion of curves with the right pair of jeans. Here are a few things to look for when you’re out shopping:
- Denim with whiskering effects at the hips will help draw the eye out, creating a curvier look.
- Avoid boyfriend cuts or baggy jeans entirely – these will only exemplify your straighter hips.
- Look for jeans with detail on the back pocket – these can really round out your bottom, creating a curvier effect.
- Look for low-rise styles that are flare or bootcut as they cut more into your hips, creating a slight curve. The slimmer in the hip and thigh area and wider at the ankle they are, the more curvier of an appearance they will give you.
- Look for fading on the thighs and a flare below your knee to curve you out and add volume to these areas.
While I am quite familiar with the dreaded jean shopping experience, the only way you’re ever going to find the right pair of jeans that make you feel your best is to try them on.
These are just some quick tips. Realistically, we can classify our body types into general categories, but we are all still so unique. So…make sure to get into that dressing room, grab every different style you can see that you like, and see what works and what doesn’t for you. It’s the pair of jeans that make you feel sexiest that are the ones you should buy.