Raise your hand if you’ve ever started a Beachbody workout program but not finished it. Me too!
That’s the exact reason why Shaun Week was put together. For those like us who have a hard time sticking to and completing a program.
“Go Insane but keep your Focus”
SHAUN WEEK: INSANE FOCUS = All out fat attack! A 7-day workout program Shaun T.
This is the kind of workout I like to call a funk breaker. When you keep starting a new workout routine over and over, because you keep giving up.
Shaun T is one of the most motivational and charismatic trainers around. If you can’t give Shaun T seven straight days of working out, you may need help with commitment issues.
Playing off his two hit workout programs, INSANITY and T25, Shaun T pushes you to your limits in these workouts (Insanity), but not to the point your form gets sloppy (T25).
What Is the Diet Like?
Diet? There is no diet with this program.
I admit to being a little disappointed about this when I first went to the document section of the workout program online. I was hoping for some sort of jumpstart to healthy eating, 7-day shred diet, or something similar.
So instead, I put together my own for this program: my 7-Day Fresh Start Diet. It’s slightly low in carbs with lots of lean proteins and healthy fats. I also included many foods that are known to help reduce water retention and detox the body. I will warn you the detoxing effect of this plan can cause a slight headache in some people as your body adjusts. It is NOT meant to be used for more than seven days.
Here is the download link to get your copy of my 7-Day Fresh Start Diet. And here is a sample of the plan:
- Breakfast: 6 egg whites scrambled with mixed veggies and cheddar cheese
- Snack: 1 cup blueberries with slivered almonds
- Lunch: Turkey avocado arugula salad
- Snack: 1T almond butter with celery and a cup of calming tea
- Dinner: Lemon chicken with 1 cup steamed snap peas
There are some short snippets of how to prepare different meals if they’re complex, but most are simple. If there is a meal or snack you don’t like, simply replace it with one from a different day. The diet is a baseline of 1200 calories, which means if you’re still very hungry, I’d suggest adding in another serving of protein or a healthy fat. Feeling too low in energy? Add a another serving of complex carbs.
What the Shaun Week Workouts are Like
You can tell by the names of the workouts whether they’re inspired by Insanity or T25, which I will cover below. Shaun T starts every workout with a short motivational talk before hitting the gym.
The average length of the Shaun Week workouts is 43 minutes, including warm-ups and cool downs. Shaun T gives thorough instructions for each exercise.
Here is a quick review of the Shaun Week workouts:
- Day 1: Insane Basics (33 minutes): An Insanity-inspired medium impact workout where you learn the basic moves and what the future of this week holds for you. I like the incorporation of this workout, because you get a nice introduction to the workouts for the week. This workout also has a nice little ab workout at the end of the session.
- Day 2: Pure Cardio 2 (27 minutes): 25 minutes of non-stop cardio has been proven to be an effective dose of cardio to burn calories and continue burning more calories throughout the day long after you’ve finished working out. The intensity definitely increases from day 1.
- Day 3: Insane Weights (33 minutes): An Insanity: The Asylum-inspired strength training workout that incorporates the use of weights after a pretty intense warm-up. You don’t have to go heavy with the weights. I used 8lbs, Dan used 15 lbs. If you’re not used to a little cardio mixed with weight training, be sure to ease into this one.
- Day 4: 25 Abs (28 minutes): Some of my favorite Shaun T workouts are his ab workouts. What I like about this one is you start with some standing cardio-based moves that hit the abs before hitting the floor for more concentrated ab and core work.
- Day 5: Ripsanity (43 minutes): In my opinion, this is the hardest of the workouts during the 7 days. You do three moves with weights with a slight break between sets. For weights, I would recommend having a couple sets on hand, because you are going to likely have to drop down in weights.
- Day 6: Speed 4.0 (27 minutes): This bodyweight only T25-themed workout is all about moving fast but controlled. This workout is almost like a break from the others in the series, but you need it after Day 5.
- Day 7: Dig Deep (31 minutes): In the final workout of the week, Shaun T wants you to go all-in for this one. A medium to high impact cardio-themed workout that reminds of the original Insanity workouts. Shaun T even broke out the diamond burpee. ;)
Even though there are two workouts that include weights, Shaun Week: INSANE FOCUS is seven days of pretty intense cardio workouts.
For equipment, a set of dumbbells in the 5-10lbs range for women and 10-15lbs range for men should do – and a chair if you’re modifying. The low-impact modifier is Julie in case you need to drop a little bit in intensity.
The Shaun Week Workout Calendar
You have 4 cardio days, 2 weight training days, and 1 day dedicated to sculpting your abs. The workouts alternate between more strength training-based moves, then cardio-based moves that target different areas of the body, so you don’t overtrain.
You can access the workout calendar in the backend of the Beachbody On Demand area, or I’ve created a copy you can download and print to track your progress.
Link to a google sheet(make a copy for editing): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ushyQyCrh2X1pEMjJ0R0VvNmM/
Link to a pdf version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1ushyQyCrh2dmprWVRBYlgxYjg/
The Kind of Results You Can Expect
Since this program is only seven days long, you are not going to see some of the more dramatic results you would get with a 60-day program like our Insanity MAX:30 results.
This doesn’t mean this program is a waste of time. It’s a perfect way to get some momentum under your belt or to drop a couple pounds quickly.
I’ll get some result pics up by the end of the week of my own results. If you don’t think visible results are possible, trust me, they are!
How to Do SHAUN WEEK for “Free”
I don’t think it’s sheer coincidence Beachbody released Shaun Week shortly after their announcement that the Beachbody On Demand free trial would now include all workout programs, including new releases.
Shaun Week created quite the buzz on social media! With a teething 6 month at home, I missed out on doing the workouts day-by-day with everyone else, but I still loved getting these workouts in for a change of pace!
The good news is you can still get access to SHAUN WEEK: INSANE FOCUS with the 14-day free trial(bottom right of the linked to page) to Beachbody On Demand. Unfortunately, I do not think this program will be available anywhere other than online, which if you still have not tried it out, you can get access through this link.
What to do After You Complete a Week of INSANE FOCUS
Once you’ve completed Shaun Week, I see four potential options:
- Do another seven days of Shaun Week, though I would suggest talking a day off to recover before beginning it again.
- Do Focus T25. This option would be best if you are limited on time or are in the beginning stages of working out.
- Do an Insanity series workout. My favorite from the series is INSANITY MAX:30. In this workout, you try to beat your previous best time without sacrificing form.
- If you are advanced, Beachbody also released a hybrid workout calendar that incorporates INSANITY, INSANITY MAX:30, T25, INSANITY: THE ASYLUM,and SHAUN WEEK.
The above workout calendar mentioned in number 4 is located under the Program Materials on Beachbody On Demand. You don’t need to do Shaun Week prior to Insanity or Focus T25.
Have you tried Shaun Week? Please leave a comment below about what you liked most about the program!